24 January 2015

Quick & Easy Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits

Despite the fact that I know we should eat something other than carbs for breakfast, that's often where we revert on weekend mornings. There are exceptions, such as tofu scramble, but carbs commonly grace our breakfast plates. Often I use Heart Smart Bisquick when I make pancakes, waffles, or biscuits, but the other week I was out and really craving biscuits. I figured it couldn't be that hard to make my own, so did some quick google searching. Turns out there are a ton of different ways to mix a few simple ingredients to make biscuits. After a bit of pondering (and a bit of guessing), I made an attempt at a recipe that turned out really well!

Even though the biscuits were delicious, I've got a rule. The rule for the blog, is that if I make up a recipe, I have to make that recipe at least twice before it gets posted. (FYI, if I make a recipe from a cookbook that's awesome, then I can post it after just one time, as it went through all sorts of testing before getting published.) Lucky for me, the second attempt at the biscuits turned out just as well as the first! Shana even said "good biscuits, love" multiple times during breakfast. We slather our biscuits with vegan butter and agave nectar, but you could easily do jam, maple syrup, gravy, or even use them to make a vegan breakfast sandwich (despite the addition of sugar, the biscuits themselves aren't sweet). Let me know what you do with your biscuits!

All slathered and with some fake bacon.

Maggie's Quick and Easy Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits
Ingredients
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
2/3 c. unsweetened soymilk
1/3 c. light vanilla soymilk
1/2 T. lemon juice
2 T. canola oil

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400.
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Combine the soymilks with the lemon juice, stirring until it gets a bit thicker - it makes buttermilk!
3. Add the buttermilk and oil to the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Do not overmix, just mix until all of the dry ingredients are no longer dry. This is a soft batter.
4. Lightly flour a counter and plop the dough on the flour. Using a rolling pin, roll into an even rectangle (as much as possible) that is about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Using a pizza cutter (or knife, but the pizza cutter is super easy), cut the dough into about 8 even rectangles.
6. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12-14 minutes. If desired, brush on a bit of soymilk in the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.

Helpful Hints
  • If you'd like, you can use all one type of soymilk (e.g., all unsweetened). Not all non-dairy milks will work here. I think you could also use almond milk, but my guess is that rice milk will be too thin. 
  • If you opt to brush on soymilk, it will simply make the tops a bit more golden-brown. It doesn't add enough liquid to increase the cooking time or make the biscuits soggy. 
  • If you really need round biscuits, feel free to use a round cookie cutter. I opted NOT to do that, as you need to re-roll the dough, which makes those biscuits denser than the first set, or you just waste a lot of dough. 
The post "Quick & Easy Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits" originally appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment