07 June 2018

Red Lentil Curry in the Instant Pot

Most home cooks I know have stacks of recipes they've been meaning to try. I have a couple of tangible stacks, but I also have a couple of virtual "stacks" - emails with links and a category of posts in my feedly account. A while ago I was perusing one of my email collections and came across a recipe that I remembered our friends Max and Sara feeding us ages ago.

In looking over the recipe, I thought that I could make it in our Instant Pot. Plus, I've been really enjoying foods with flavors from the Middle East recently and this fits in very well.

After making slight adaptations to the original recipe, I ended up with something that Shana and I both absolutely LOVE! This easy, high-protein, high-fiber, low-fat meal has been on regular rotation.


Red Lentil Curry 
Ingredients
This recipe is lightly adapted from the one found here.
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 c. red lentils
4 c. vegetable broth
1 T. curry powder
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
scant 1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. sugar
1, 15 oz. can plain tomato sauce
5-10 oz. spinach
1 tsp. lemon juice

Directions
1. Turn in the Instant Pot to "saute" and saute the onions in a small amount of oil. When they are close to done, add the garlic and saute another minute or two. Turn off the Instant Pot.
2. Add all the other ingredients except for the spinach and lemon juice. Stir well.
3. Add spinach on top of the other ingredients.
4. Close Instant Pot and make sure it is set to seal. Cook for 10 minutes on high pressure, then do a natural release for 10 minutes. Carefully, release the rest of the pressure manually.
5. Open lid and stir, adding the lemon juice. Serve over rice.

Helpful Hints
  • Red lentils are a must here. They cook differently than other varieties of lentils and become a satisfying, creamy texture when they are done. 
  • If you don't have some of the spices, this recipe is really forgiving. I've made it once without cumin and once without coriander. Both versions were delicious! With that said, make sure to add the lemon juice. 

The post "Red Lentil Curry in the Instant Pot" first appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment