28 March 2013

Vegan Alice Salad

When planning for meals this week, I decided that I didn't care that the temps we going to feel like late winter, I was going to make it summer in my kitchen by making Alice Salad. This salad was named by my aunt (the paella aunt) because the two women she knew who made this salad, one of whom was my grandmother, were both named Alice. It's not really named Alice Salad, but most people call it "ramen coleslaw salad" and I think that sounds dull.

In all honesty, this recipe can be as simple or complex as you like. At it's most basic level, it includes only five super convenient ingredients. With so little involved, this salad comes together in no time. In addition, because of the convenience of the ingredients, it's a great picnic or potluck food! Bring everything with you, take two minutes to combine, and then you've got a delicious and healthy salad that will disappear in no time due to its light and refreshing taste. In fact, I brought all the ingredients to school today and made it at lunch. Two colleagues and a student shared it with me, but I'll still have some left over. Works for me!


Maggie's Vegan Alice Salad
Ingredients
1 bag of coleslaw (16 oz.)
1 package uncooked ramen noodles
1/3 c. white vinegar
1/3 c. canola oil (or veggie oil)
2 T. sugar
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Vege Base
dash paprika

Directions
1. Combine everything except coleslaw and ramen noodles in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, shake to combine. 
2. When you are ready to eat, put coleslaw and ramen noodles in a bowl, pour over dressing, stir to combine. 

Helpful Hints
  • Make this Asian-inspired! I've recently been making this with the addition of toasted sesame seeds, subbing toasted sesame oil for some of the oil, seasoned rice vinegar rather than white vinegar, minimizing the sugar, and adding 1/2 - 1 tsp. sriracha. Yum! 
  • The simplest way to make this salad is to omit everything below the sugar in the ingredient list and use the ramen flavoring packet instead. If you do this, be aware that there is only one easily obtainable brand/variety of vegan ramen. There are more if you go to an Asian grocery store, but in your local store, you will need to use Nissen brand ramen in the "Oriental" flavor. If you can only find the Marchu brand, that's not vegan. 
  • The salad will keep for a few days after it is combined, but the ramen noodles will no longer be crunchy. I don't mind it like this, but not everyone will like it as much.
  • You can absolutely add other things to this salad. I can envision sliced scallions or toasted almonds, but be creative! 
The post "Vegan Alice Salad" originally appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment