14 May 2013

Maggie's Three Bean Salad

Just about a week ago I had my semi-annual Minion Dinner. Last Tuesday I had 7 "Minions" over (3 RAs and 4 TAs) for dinner and games. Although it rained a bit, we still had a great early summer get-together; they are such a great group! Because this was one of the bigger groups within the recent past, I was a little bit at a loss about what to make for dinner for everyone. However, after borrowing a grill from the neighbors, the meal was set. We had:
Maggie's Three Bean Salad

Shana and I normally eat grilled foil packets on their own, but I worried that non-vegan folks wouldn't feel full after only eating veggies, so I added the rice and the bean salad. I'd made a three bean salad before, but I couldn't remember what I'd put on it as a dressing. Plus, a google search yields a different recipe at every single hit. This obviously meant I had to make my own recipe. As we were eating, a couple of my minions asked me if various recipes were on my blog (I've been more vocal about that fact that this blog exists), which I found very touching. One of them asked specifically about this salad; I promised her I'd post it. A.M., this post is for you. 



Maggie's Three Bean Salad
Ingredients
1, 15 oz. can black beans
1, 15 oz. can kidney beans
1, 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
1 small red onion, large dice
1 orange or red pepper, large dice
2 T. canola oil
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil (optional)
4 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. lime juice
1 T. maple syrup (or other sweetener, like agave)
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried parsley (or use fresh if you have some!)

Directions
1. Chop red onion and put in a bowl of cold water for at least 10 minutes while you prep the other ingredients. 

2. Rinse and drain beans. Put in a large bowl with the pepper. 
3. Mix all remaining ingredients in a large jar with a tight-fitting lid (or whisk well in a bowl). 
4. Add onions and dressing to the bowl, stir well to combine. 
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Helpful Hints
  • Like most three bean salads, this one is made with flavors/textures I love, which means it is infinitely modifiable based on your own preferences or pantry ingredients. Change things up!
  • Also like most three bean salads, this one gets better as it sits. I highly recommend making it at least 4 hours before you plan to serve it, but a day before would be even better! Because this one doesn't have green beans (a common ingredient), it'll keep well for multiple days in a closed container in the fridge without getting soggy.
  • Despite the 4 T. of vinegar, this dressing does not have a strong vinegar bite to it. You're welcome to add more if you like. 
  • I'd strongly recommend some fresh parsley (or cilantro or basil or ...), but if you use it, chop it very finely. 
The post "Maggie's Three Bean Salad" originally appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment