30 May 2013

Maggie's Vegan Quiche

Now that I'm back from my trip to Jordan, I feel like my summer is actually starting. I spent the past few days organizing little bits of things from the end of the semester (though I've more work to do) and even got some good "summer work" done today (data analysis and manuscript writing).

However, what makes it really feel like summer is that my mind is whirring with plans for all the things I want to try to cook! As of right now, my dining room table is covered with cookbooks and I've got a running list going. For example, there are couple of Peruvian recipes from World Vegan Feast I've been eyeing, I got a couple of ingredients that are hard to find here when we were gone over Memorial Day weekend some fun recipes I haven't made in a while (vegan whoopie pies, anyone?), and just today I got a new cookbook in the mail (Let Them Eat Vegan) that I won in a giveaway.

With all that said, tonight I opted for a tried and true recipe. Shana stayed in Indy tonight for a "meet the new families" school function, which meant that I could do what I wanted for dinner. I opted for vegan quiche, because Shana keeps trying to tell herself she doesn't like it (even though the last time I made she ate 1/4 of it herself). The beauty of this recipe is that it can be made with veggies you likely have hanging out in your fridge. My preference is green things (broccoli, spinach, etc.), but veggies like mushrooms or peppers would also be delicious. Regardless of what you put in it, this recipe will get eaten up whenever you make it. I've taken it to brunches and served it to guests for breakfast and dinner, and it always disappears.



Maggie's Vegan Quiche
Ingredients
1 ready made pie crust (or see below)
1 med. onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head broccoli, in small florets (or other veggie of choice)
1 package extra firm water-packed tofu, drained but not pressed
1/2 c. unsweetened soymilk
2 T. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
dash of red pepper
dash of nutmeg

Directions
1. Partially bake pie crust at 400 degrees (usually 10-12 minutes).
2. Cook veggie of choice until just soft.
3. Saute onions and garlic until soft, adding garlic partially through onion cooking.
4. In a blender, puree tofu, soymilk, nutritional yeast, mustard, salt, pepper, red pepper, and nutmeg until smooth and well-combined. You may need to stop and clear the sides of your blender.
5. Combine tofu mixture, onion/garlic, and broccoli in a large bowl then spread in pie crust.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top of quiche is golden brown and center is firm and set. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes before cutting and serving.



Helpful Hints
  • You can bring the spice level of this up a notch by adding more red pepper and less black pepper. If you add too much it will become overwhelming, but up to 1/4 tsp will work well and provide a bit of heat.
  • In the ingredients, I say to drain but not press the tofu. You do want a bit of extra water in the tofu, which is why I don't press it. I do squeeze the tofu a bit in my hands, though. 
  • If you choose to buy a pie crust, be careful. Many of them are not vegan (frequently they contain lard). There are a few vegan brands, so you'll likely be able to find one. 
  • If you want to make your own, here's a really easy recipe: combine 1 1/2 c. flour, 1 tsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 c. oil, and 3 T. unsweetened soymilk in a pie plate, using a fork to stir, then press the dough around the pie plate. 

The post "Maggie's Vegan Quiche" originally appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment