03 December 2013

Lazy Dinner Tacos

Apparently "Lazy Dinners" are a thing at our house. Tonight was a "Lazy Dinner." In fact, this dinner is more of a Lazy Dinner than Lazy Dinner Pizza, which was the first Lazy Dinner I posted. I've been attempting new crockpot dinners for the past few Tuesdays, as they allow me to spend more time working on nights when Shana stays in Indy. However, the past few attempts have been pretty bad. Their awfulness made me hesitant to try a new one this week. Instead, I decided on tacos. Shana's been on a "no tacos" kick, too, which made dinner even more perfect.

These tacos are a perfect dinner when you don't have a plan or only have about 10 minutes to cook (and actually, 10 minutes might be exaggerating the length of time I was in the kitchen). In addition, they are able to be customized in any way you'd like. I feel silly even calling this a recipe, but since the purpose of this blog is to show people that it's actually very do-able to be vegan, this is a super easy way to do so. Plus, tacos are just delicious.


Lazy Dinner Tacos
Ingredients
1 box vegan crumbles
a splash of oil
1 c. water
taco fixings of choice (I use crushed tortilla chips, lettuce, and Daiya cheese shreds)

Directions
1. Splash the oil in a non-stick skillet, then add the crumbles and let them cook for a minute or two. 
2. Pour the envelope of seasoning on the crumbles, then add the water. Stir to combine. 
3. Let cook for 2-3 minutes or until thick. 

Helpful Hints
  • The oil isn't necessary, but I add it because it makes it feel more like meat tacos. The crumbles have very little fat in them, so adding the oil more closely mimics what would happen if you were browning meat. 
  • The envelope of seasoning calls for only 3/4 c. of water. I find that makes the tacos too dry (again, the crumbles have less liquid in them than real meat). If you're worried about adding more water than is called for on the package, you can always add 3/4 c. and then add more if you need it. 
  • Instead of taco shells, I use crumbled tortilla chips. We kept buying hard taco shells, but they were always stale. I am careful to buy a brand of chips with minimal salt so that they are more like hard shells, but you can certainly use whatever you'd like. 
The post "Lazy Dinner Tacos" originally appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment