28 February 2013

Vegan Moo Shu Vegetables

I've mentioned before how much Shana loves Chinese food. It really is her automatic go-to choice for dinner. Thus, when I was showing her some of the new recipes I wanted to try, this recipe for vegetable moo shu wraps jumped out at her. Since they sounded good and looked reasonably do-able, I agreed. Plus, they were an excuse to buy one new ingredient and test out the slicing blade on my food processor. This second time around they were as delicious as the first time and I figured out how to make the tofu work.

If you've never had moo shu wraps, they are basically shredded veggies that are stir fried, sauced, and then wrapped in a thin pancake. I would assume that they are infinitely adaptable ("gee, I should really use up this bell pepper in my fridge"), but I've not tested it out. A word of warning though: if you do not have a food processor with a slicing (and shredding) blade, the prep time on this would be tedious! But, with a food processor, you'll be ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.



Maggie's Vegan Moo Shu Vegetables
This recipe is adapted from Vegetable Moo Shu Wraps by Kirstin Uhrenholdt, from Vegetarian Times, September 2011.

Ingredients
1/2 c. veggie broth
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. toasted sesame oil
1 T. rice wine vinegar (or lime juice)
1 tsp. agave nectar
1/4-1/2 tsp. dried ginger
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 brick extra firm tofu
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 small head cabbage (any color), coarsely shredded
1 1/2 c. snow peas, ends trimmed and sliced once lengthwise
3 large carrots, coarsely shredded
1 small bunch green onions, sliced diagonally
Hoisin sauce
small, thin flour tortillas

Directions
1. Press the tofu and then slice it into 1/4 inch thick slabs. Fry these on an electric skillet, then cut into thick matchsticks.
2. Combine the veggie broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, agave, ginger, and cornstarch in a quart size jar with a tight-fitting lid. Set aside.
3. Saute red onions in a bit of olive oil in large wok for a few minutes over high heat. Add garlic, saute a few minutes more.
4. Add cabbage, carrots, snow peas, and green onions, saute until soft (maybe 6-9 minutes depending on heat level).
5. Add tofu, stir.
6. Add sauce, stir to incorporate and slightly thicken on the veggies.
7. To eat, spread hoisin (to taste) on a tortilla, add veggies, and roll.

Helpful Hints
  • Seriously, you need a food processor for this. If you don't have one, it's a great purchase. It'll be in my list of essential vegan kitchen tools, when I get around to writing that post. Edit: I got around to writing that list
  • This makes a ton of food. You could easily do this with half of the head of cabbage, it'll just be a bit more saucy. 
  • As I said earlier, I'm sure you could also add other veggies. My thought would be thinly sliced peppers, but experiment. 
  • You can substitute rice-flour wraps for the flour tortillas if you have a Asian grocery store near you. We don't, so the flour tortillas work great. 
The post "Vegan Moo Shu Vegetables" originally appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. We had this with you when you were in to visit and it was outstanding! Outstanding in our house means everyone loved it! 7&9-year-olds included. Sorry, the 3-year-old is tricky!;)

    I've been craving it since!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was so happy that you all liked it (but yes, 3-year-olds are tricky! :)

      Delete