A few summers ago some friends of ours got married in PA. Afterward, we went to a restaurant for the reception and Shana had a bite of a non-vegan coconut/lime/mango soup as an appetizer. She thought it was amazing, so I decided I would try to make a vegan version (having never tried the non-vegan version). I'm not sure how close my recipe is to the one Shana tried, but it is delicious in its own right.
Maggie's Tropical Cold Soup
12 oz. frozen mango (about 2 cups)
1, 14 oz. can coconut milk
Juice from 1 lime (~2 T.)
1 c. unflavored soy creamer
2 T. sugar
dash powdered ginger
1. Allow mangoes to thaw.
2. Add all ingredients to blender, blend until incredibly smooth.
3. Chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
- You could certainly use a coconut creamer if you can't find (or don't like soy).
- The soup will thicken some as it cools, so don't worry if it seems a bit thin.
- If you'd like to kick up the flavor a bit, add more lime juice or more ginger.
- This cold soup could be served as an appetizer or a dessert, depending on your preference.
- Garnish with lime zest and/or serve with cinnamon-sugar pita chips to use as spoons (my favorite!).