I've made tofu scrambles a few times at home, but I'd never quite gotten the spices and moisture content quite right. I'd make one that was too wet (per Shana's standards), too bland, too spicy, or just not quite right. This morning, after looking over my notes from my most recent attempt, cross-referencing with a recipe from one of the figureheads of vegan cooking (Isa Chandra Moskowitz over at the PPK), and doing a little mental recalculation, I arrived at a winner of a tofu scramble! We devoured all of it, along with some mini pancakes and a couple of slices of vegan bacon.
Maggie's Tofu Scramble
1 block extra firm tofu, drained but not pressed
1 very small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1/8 tsp. paprika
pepper (I did a couple of dashes)
1/2 T. garbanzo bean flour
2 T. water
1 T. soy sauce
scant 1/4 c. nutritional yeast
1. Saute the onions in a bit of oil over med-high heat. I used a non-stick skillet, as tofu is a sticky food.
2. When the onions are soft, add the garlic and saute for another 40 seconds or so.
3. Crumble the tofu into the skillet. You can make your chunks any size you'd like. Don't stir too often so that the tofu gets a bit brown.
4. While the tofu is heating up, put the parsley, salt, cumin, tumeric, paprika, and garbanzo bean flour into a small jar with a tight-fitting lid and mix them up. Add the water and soysauce, shaking to combine. Continue to stir the tofu occasionally.
5. Pour the spice mixture onto the tofu, stir well to incorporate. Add the nutritional yeast, stir well.
- Tofu scramble is a great food to have in your recipe arsenal. It's super easy, super fast, super healthy, and super delicious. You can personalize it to your own tastes by adjusting the spices and you can include any type of veggie you'd like (broccoli and spinach sound good to me, but things like peppers or mushrooms would also be delicious).
- If you find that the water is coming out of your tofu and pooling on the bottom of your skillet, turn up the heat to high so that the water boils off.
- I'm not kidding about the benefit of a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Get one!
The post "Maggie's Tofu Scramble" originally appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.