Since it's Tuesday night, I'm on my own for dinner, which means a Lazy Dinner. In the past couple of weeks, I've been really bad at cooking/eating at home the nights that Shana's gone. More recently, I've been grabbing food at the few places I can eat here in town. That's just silly. With the same effort it takes to drive across town, wait in line, and bring food home, I can stand in my kitchen in comfy clothes and eat delicious dinner for easily 1/3 of the price of me eating out.
Tonight my plan was Lazy Dinner Bean Burritos. This dinner is SO easy and so cheap. You can add whatever you'd like and make this dinner your own. If you need to scale up to make a quick dinner for 6, you can do it. Moreover, there's no need to actually buy things for this dinner, as you can make it with things you'd keep on hand. I did buy one thing for tonight, but that's just because I planned ahead. Had I planned better, I would have added a couple more ingredients. Oh well, that'll be for next time.
Lazy Dinner Bean Burritos
1, 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. veggie broth
1 c. brown minute rice
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
spices of choice
1. Cook the rice per package directions. Tonight, I added some dried oregano (1/4 tsp.), some paprika (1/2 tsp.), and some lime juice (1 tsp.) before I added the rice.
2. Saute the onions over medium-high heat. Add a bit of kosher salt to help pull out the liquid.
3. Put the drained beans and veggie broth in a small saucepan over medium heat. Tonight I added some garlic powder (1/4 tsp.), some sriracha sauce (1/4 tsp.), and some black pepper (1/4 tsp.). Let boil without a lid.
4. Add the peppers to the onions and continue to saute.
5. When everything is ready, load up your tortillas and eat up!
- Additional possible ingredients: salsa, fresh tomatoes, vegan cheese, guacamole (buy the Wholly Guacamole single serve things and put them in the freezer!), corn, vegan sour cream, etc.
- This can easily be gluten-free (use corn tortillas) or soy-free depending on the veggie broth you use and the toppings you choose.
- If I estimate the cost of this dinner, I think it would come out to about $3 (my pepper was organic). Getting the same thing at Chipotle (my fast food burrito place of choice!!) is over $7.
The post "Lazy Dinner Bean Burritos" first appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.