We got chard in our CSA shares for a couple of weeks and I remembered a soup we'd had years ago. I tried to recreate it after asking about ingredients, but then decided I didn't like the smell of one of the ingredients. Instead, I switched things up a bit and ended up with something delicious. Seriously, this soup is amazing. The richness of it makes it ideal for any season, but using fresh spring/summer chard is a great idea.
Maggie's Vegan Cream of Chard Soup
1 med. onion, chopped
1 c. dry white wine
5 c. veggie broth
1 tsp. sriracha sauce
1 tsp. tomato paste
2 bunches of chard, chopped
6 T. canola oil, separated
4 T. flour
1, 15 oz. can coconut milk
1. In a large soup pot, saute onions in 1 T. oil until soft.
2. Deglaze pan with wine.
3. Add broth, sriracha, tomato paste, and chard. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
4. Toward the end of the 30 minutes, mix the remaining oil and flour in a pot to make a roux. Cook for 5-10 minutes over very low heat. The roux should barely change colors (if at all).
5. Add roux - SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY - to the soup. Stir then simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until there are no more large chunks of onion and chard.
7. Add the can of coconut milk and stir well to make sure any lumps have dissolved.
- Our CSA Swiss chard was here for two weeks, but then gone (perhaps we'll get more, who knows!). However, chard is often found year-round in well-stocked grocery stores.
- Speaking of chard, green or red or some combination is totally fine. You're going to think that all the chard won't fit, but it will!
- This is a soy-free meal if your veggie broth is soy-free.
- My favorite white wine to use in cooking is chardonnay. You could use a different dry white (like a pinot grigio), or even sherry. Alternatively, you can leave the wine out altogether and just add an extra cup of veggie broth.
- Because of the roux and the coconut milk, this is a rich (but not very thick) soup. Thus, I highly recommend serving this with many other foods or as a small soup course at a fancy-pants dinner party.
The post "Maggie's Vegan Cream of Chard Soup" originally appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.