07 May 2018

Seitan Nuggets

You know the videos that get shared on social media sites? The ones that show a pair of hands cooking a dish from start to finish in a minute or so? That's where I found this recipe.

Of course, for the life of me, I can't find that video any longer. If you find it, let me know so I can cite it, will you? Luckily, I watched the video a few times and wrote down the recipe/instructions. Then I put the paper in my stacks of recipes and promptly forgot about it.

Sometime this winter I got sick of everything we were eating, went digging through one of my "you should try this" stacks of recipes and found my scribbled notes for these seitan nuggets. They went on the meal plan for that week, dipped in barbecue sauce, and then they were gone.


We ate all of them. We did it again a few days later, and the next time, and the next. So worth it.

Seitan Nuggets
Ingredients
1 c. wheat gluten
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 T. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. veggie broth
1 T. soy sauce

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Mix dry ingredients (wheat gluten, onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, pepper, and salt) in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
2. Combine vegetable broth and soy sauce, then add to the mixed dry ingredients.
3. Mix on low speed until well combined and firm.
4. Rip dough into nugget sized pieces (mine were approximately 2.5 inches long) and place into a glass baking dish.
5. Spray lightly with oil, flip and spray other side.
6. Bake 25 minutes, flipping once.

Helping Hints
  • This is a quick dinner. It comes together in almost no time and then it's mostly hands off while it bakes. With a bottle of BBQ sauce for dipping and a quick salad, this a great dinner for busy nights when you need to be doing 17 other things at the same time. 
  • You can certainly dip these in something else! 
  • These have a LOT of flavor on their own, so if you find that overwhelming, cut down on the onion and garlic powders by a bit. The pepper isn't overwhelming, even for small folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment