16 October 2018

Maggie's Vegan Enchilasagna

The weather has finally turned into a chilly fall here in Indiana. It was a stark change, with plenty of memes going around. For me, the chilly weather means I'm excited to have the oven on and want to eat all the warm, cozy foods I can imagine.

Tonight, we had some new friends over for dinner and I made this enchilasagna recipe. One of them asked how the recipe emerged, which made me realize that dish was actually due to a series of kitchen misadventures. A while ago, I decided to bring my enchilada recipe to vegan potluck. All set to cook, I when I get home that I'm out of the rice I need for the recipe. I had other rice, but not enough time to cook it. In a pinch, I figured I would use quinoa instead, as inside the enchilada, no one would really notice. I had also planned ahead and planned to swap corn tortillas for the flour tortillas in order to make the dish gluten-free. I fill my first corn tortilla, being to wrap it up, and it breaks - it doesn't roll at all. I figure I just need to be gentle for the next one and gingerly try to roll a second corn tortilla. It broke, too. Short on time if we were going to get to dinner on time, I figured I'd just try a layered dish and call it a vegan enchilasagna. It was a hit! I'm sure it will be a hit for you and yours, too!

Yup, melting faux cheese! Plus, a bit of enchilasaga deconstruction in the back. 


Maggie's Vegan Enchilasaga
Ingredients
40 oz. enchilada sauce (see Helpful Hints)
2/3 c. uncooked quinoa + 1 1/3 c. broth
1 small/medium onion, chopped
1 large or 2 small green peppers, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced
1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1, 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1, 15 oz can corn, drained
~12 corn tortillas (depends on size)
1 bag Daiya cheddar shreds

Directions
1. Rinse the quinoa and set it on the stove with the broth. Bring to a boil then simmer, lid partially off, until broth is absorbed. Meanwhile, mix the enchilada sauces if you purchased some mild and some medium.
2. Preheat your oven to 375. Saute the onions, bell pepper, and jalapeno over medium/high heat until the onions are starting to become translucent.
3. Once the quinoa is done, combine the quinoa, sauteed veggies, black beans, pinto beans, and corn in a bowl, stirring well to combine.
4. Spray some non-stick spray into a glass 9x13 dish. Pour approximately 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of the pan. Next, layer corn tortillas in the pan, being sure to cover as much of the pan bottom as possible. You may have to rip one or two tortillas.
5. Spread 1/3 of the back of Daiya over the corn tortillas. Then add 1/2 of the quinoa/veggie/bean mixture and spread it around as well as possible.
6. Add a layer of corn tortillas over the quinoa mixture. Pour 1/2 of the remaining sauce over the tortillas. Next, add another 1/3 of the Daiya sprinkled on top of the corn tortillas and sauce.
7. Add and spread the rest of the quinoa filling, then layer with more corn tortillas, the rest of the sauce, and the rest of the cheese.
8. Bake for 35 minutes then let cool a bit before cutting and serving.

Helpful Hints
  • For the enchilada sauce, I use half mild and half medium. Feel free to use all mild, all medium, or any combination that suits your needs. The ratio I use has a nice warmth to it, but isn't overwhelming. 
  • I also added a jalapeno, which is optional if you don't like heat (or add more than one if you do!). I had just picked the last of them from my summer garden, which makes this a perfect fall meal, as you can still enjoy summer garden bounty. 
  • With the three layers of tortillas and cheese, this holds together fairly well. Letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting is a bit help, too. Be patient. 
  • This dish is gluten-free and soy-free if you are careful to check the enchilada sauce you buy. Plus, with the quinoa and two kinds of beans, it's high in protein. Served with my Southwestern Salad with Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette, this is a great meal. 

The post "Maggie's Vegan Enchilasagna" first appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment