06 March 2015

Lazy Dinner Not-Pigs in Blankets

Even though spring is supposedly on the way, the first two and half months of the year are always tricky for Shana and I when it comes to planning dinners. Our best laid meal plans are often dramatically destroyed by Mother Nature. We'll have planned a lovely dinner just to have a major snowstorm force Shana to stay in Indianapolis. Thus, I'm more often trying to figure out random things for me to eat (e.g., the other night I had Alice Salad and mini tater tots, simply because I had all of that on hand). Luckily, I've got a number of Lazy Dinners that are easy to do.

This is another one of those dinners where I don't remember how it started. Maybe we saw someone else eating them. Or maybe I saw a non-vegan recipe and decided to veganize it. Or maybe something else happened that was equally trivial. Whatever the reason, these not-pigs in blankets are SO easy I feel badly calling them a recipe. But I guess that makes them a perfect Lazy Dinner (or game-watching food or snack).

Now, before you go all crazy and start making these all the time, I just want to say up front that these are not - I repeat, NOT - the most healthy thing for you to eat. They rely on heavily processed fake meat and high-in-fat bread-in-a-can. Obviously that means they're delicious. It also obviously means don't eat them all the time! As a occasional Lazy Dinner, they're great.


Lazy Dinner Not-Pigs in Blankets
Ingredients
4 Smart Dogs (or other fake hot-dog item)
1 tube Pillsbury Crescent Rounds (see Helpful Hints)
ketchup or other dipping sauce of choice

Directions
Preheat oven to 375.
1. Cut 4 fake hot hot dogs in half.
2. Roll each half into one crescent round, placed at a slight angle.


3. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.

Helpful Hints
  • Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls and Rounds are accidentally vegan. The "butterflake" versions are not. If you can't find the crescent rounds, you can also use regular crescent rolls. You can also make this slightly healthier if you can find the Immaculata version of crescents, which are lower in fat. 
  • I like the extra bread around each fake hot dog, but you can also use one crescent round/roll for a full-size fake hot dog, which will lead to less bread, but more people you are able to feed at a time. 
  • I eat these with ketchup, but you could do mustard or BBQ sauce or any other dipping sauce you'd enjoy. 
The post "Lazy Dinner Not-Pigs in Blankets" originally appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment