When looking for a new dish to make a while ago, I stumbled upon one of those torn magazine-page recipes. It looked good, especially with the tweaks I was envisioning to make it both vegan and a one-dish dinner. With approval from Shana to try something new, the rice skillet dinner was a go and resounding success! Nothing fancy, just warm comforting goodness for when you're short on time but still want a delicious meal.
Oh, and make sure to use your largest skillet! A 12" is a necessity (or cut the recipe in half)!
Maggie's Rice Skillet Dinner
1, 14 oz. package of faux sausages, sliced (see Helpful Hints)
3-4 T. oil
1 small onion, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 small heads broccoli, in small florets
2 1/2 c. faux chicken or veggie broth
1, 15 oz. can unseasoned tomato sauce
2 c. uncooked instant brown rice
1/2 c. shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
1. In a LARGE skillet, brown sausages and onion in oil.
2. Add pepper and garlic, saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add broccoli, broth, tomato sauce, and rice. Simmer, stirring occasionally until the liquid is absorbed.
4. Stir in shredded cheese, then serve.
- The faux sausages I use are Tofurky Italian flavor. I like this flavor a lot in this dish, but I'm sure others would work fine. Recently, our local grocery store started selling their own brand of a faux chorizo, which I'd like to try in here, too.
- This really does make a lot of food, so plan to feed others. If you're not planning to feed 3-4 people, or if you don't have a 12" skillet, halve the recipe. You can easily buy 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce, so I'd just dump the whole thing in. I haven't tried this, but it's only .5 ounce more than actually half...
- Our local grocery store sells Daiya mozzarella shreds, so that's what I used.
The post "Maggie's Rice Skillet Dinner" first appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.