16 November 2019

Protein Breakfast Cookies

Shana and a group of friends have started a once-a-month brunch. When she told me about the first one, I'd already planned another morning event, meaning I didn't attend. Coming home afterward, she proudly announced that we were hosting the second month. Fast forward and we are into month three.

Here's the problem: I'm running out of brunch recipes.

Let me clarify. I'm running out of brunch recipes that travel well and will be more or less a meal for me and Shana, as no one else in this group is vegan. I've got a few more ideas in mind, but I'll take any ideas you've got!

For tomorrow's brunch, I'm bringing these high-protein breakfast cookies. These were a recipe my sister-in-law was making when she was following a paleo diet. Shana tried them and loved them, so got the recipe for me. With a minor edit they became vegan and are absolutely delicious. There was a while when I was making a double-batch on the weekend so we could both grab a couple for breakfast during week. I just might have to start doing that again...



Protein Breakfast Cookies
Ingredients
1/4 c. pureed pumpkin (see note)
1/2 c. almond butter
1/4 c. agave nectar
1 c. almond meal
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350.
1. Mix all of the wet ingredients together (I use a hand mixer).
2. Add all of the dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
3. Put balls of approximately 2 T. onto a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet then bake for 10 minutes.
4. Let rest on the baking sheet a bit before transferring to another location to finish cooling.

Helpful Hints
  • I use a can of pumpkin puree for this, but even doubling the recipe leaves pumpkin left over. I think pumpkin freezes well (only because my dad used to make his own pumpkin puree and freeze it in ziploc baggies), but you can also add pumpkin to soups or stews, or make these delicious pumpkin cookies with maple glaze.  
  • My sister-in-law's recipe also calls for adding chocolate chips or dried fruit. I never did and never missed them. 
  • Soy-free, gluten-free, super speedy, and with lots of good protein per cookie, this is a great start to your morning.


The post "Protein Breakfast Cookies" first appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment