24 October 2020

Maggie's Lentil Barley Soup

IT'S SOUP SEASON!!


Soup season is the best season because soups are the best. I don't think anyone who has spoken with me in cooler weather and/or visited this blog is surprised at that statement. 

This particular soup emerged because I'd been digging past all the lentils in our pantry when my hand landed on a jar of pearled barley. Obviously, the first thing I thought of was soup (I mean, I'd just been touching lentils!), but I felt *certain* I had a recipe for barley soup already on my blog. Turns out I do, but it uses quick barley, not pearled, and in looking at the recipe, it just wasn't the flavors I wanted. Plus, it's very clear that I love lentils in soup. After looking at a huge number of possible ideas on the internet, what emerged was a blend of the recipes I'd looked at and the flavors I was dreaming out. Healthy, hearty, and happy-making, this soup is going to be in regular rotation. 


Maggie's Lentil Barley Soup
Ingredients
1 medium/large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
7 c. veggie broth
1/2 pearl barley
1 T. tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
black pepper to taste
1 c. green or brown lentils
2 T. lemon juice
scant 1 T. vegan Worcestershire sauce

Directions
  1. Sauté the onions and celery in a stock pot over medium-high heat with a little bit of oil, water, or veggie broth. 
  2. When onions are beginning to soften, add the garlic and sauté for another minute. 
  3. Add all ingredients except lentils, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. 
  4. When boiling, add the lentils and return to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the barley is not quite done, cook another 5 minutes. 
  5. Add the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce, stir and serve!
Helpful Hints
  • When you sauté onions, adding a pinch or two of salt helps draw out the liquid and enhances the flavor of the end of the dish.
  • Allergen notes: Barley does contain gluten and check your veggie broth and Worcestershire sauce for soy if you want this to be a soy-free meal. 
  • This soup will freeze well, so save any extras in meal-sized portions for an easy future lunch or dinner.

The post "Maggie's Lentil Barley Soup" first appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment