IT'S SOUP SEASON!!
Soup season is the best season because soups are the best. I don't think anyone who has spoken with me in cooler weather and/or visited this blog is surprised at that statement.
This particular soup emerged because I'd been digging past all the lentils in our pantry when my hand landed on a jar of pearled barley. Obviously, the first thing I thought of was soup (I mean, I'd just been touching lentils!), but I felt *certain* I had a recipe for barley soup already on my blog. Turns out I do, but it uses quick barley, not pearled, and in looking at the recipe, it just wasn't the flavors I wanted. Plus, it's very clear that I love lentils in soup. After looking at a huge number of possible ideas on the internet, what emerged was a blend of the recipes I'd looked at and the flavors I was dreaming out. Healthy, hearty, and happy-making, this soup is going to be in regular rotation.
Maggie's Lentil Barley Soup
1 medium/large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
7 c. veggie broth
1/2 pearl barley
1 T. tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
black pepper to taste
1 c. green or brown lentils
2 T. lemon juice
scant 1 T. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Sauté the onions and celery in a stock pot over medium-high heat with a little bit of oil, water, or veggie broth.
- When onions are beginning to soften, add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add all ingredients except lentils, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, add the lentils and return to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the barley is not quite done, cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce, stir and serve!
- When you sauté onions, adding a pinch or two of salt helps draw out the liquid and enhances the flavor of the end of the dish.
- Allergen notes: Barley does contain gluten and check your veggie broth and Worcestershire sauce for soy if you want this to be a soy-free meal.
- This soup will freeze well, so save any extras in meal-sized portions for an easy future lunch or dinner.
The post "Maggie's Lentil Barley Soup" first appeared on Maggie's LesVegan Kitchen.